GVEC offers three ways to report outages. However, we think using TextPower is the most convenient because it enables you to report outages by cell phone text message. All you do is text OUT, and we’ll know who you are and your service location. TextPower also allows you to request a status update and receive notice when your power is restored. Of course, you can always call our main number day or night to report an outage: 800.223.4832.
How to Sign Up for TextPower
It’s important to sign up for TextPower now, so you can use it when you need to. By registering your cell phone number with us, we’ll be able to associate it with your service location so we won’t need any further information. You can register up to three cell phone numbers. To sign up:
- Make sure your cell phone number is on your GVEC electric account. If you need to add this information, you can do it through the My Profile section in SmartHub via www.gvec.org. Or call a Customer Service Representative to update your account at 800.223.4832. (You cannot use the SmartHub mobile app to update account information.)
- If your cell number is already on your account, use your cell phone(s) to begin the registration process. Simply text, GVEC, to 85700. (If you added your cell number to your account, please wait until the next day for your account to update before beginning the registration process.)
- You should receive a welcome message and be asked to confirm your service address, up to five meters. If “N/A” appears as an address, call us so we can assist you.
You’re done! Now you can report outages by simply texting OUT. Text STATUS to get a restoration estimate. Text HELP for GVEC’s contact information. Text STOP if you no longer want to use the TextPower service.
Please note this service is free from GVEC. However, depending on your cell phone provider plan, messaging and data rates may apply. For questions or assistance in signing up, call us at 800.223.4832.
Other Ways to Report Outages
- Call us: 800.223.4832. Have your meter number, account number, service address or phone number on the account ready. Whether you talk to a Customer Service Representative or provide your information through our automated phone system, your report is immediately logged into our system so we can respond. The GVEC Control Center is in operation 24/7.
- Use SmartHub. Log in and click Report an Outage. We’ll already know your service location.
- Use TextPower to send us a text message