SunHub™ Community Solar
If you want to support clean solar energy generated locally in our own backyard—participate in the SunHub™ Community Solar program! It’s a no-worries, no-strings-attached solution for those who are interested in renewable solar energy, but not in buying or installing a solar panel system on their home. With SunHub, there’s no large upfront investment, no long-term contracts and no cancellation penalty fees. You simply sign up to purchase blocks of solar energy each month!
WHAT IS SUNHUB
In July 2017, GVEC broke ground on the SunHub Generation Station, the Co-op’s first ever generation asset and community solar project. The two-megawatt facility, located on Highway 90A between Seguin and Gonzales, was one of only seven distribution-scale solar projects underway as of that time in Texas. The facility will deliver more than 4 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of clean energy thanks to its 6,500 solar panels powered by the South Texas sunshine. The SunHub Generation Station is scheduled to go live mid-November 2017, weather permitting.
Members have an opportunity to support this renewable energy project by purchasing solar energy through the SunHub Community Solar program.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS – IT’S SIMPLE!
The program works like a yearly subscription. It’s completely optional and can be stopped or started at any time.
- Purchase from one to five blocks of solar energy per month. Each block equals 100kWh, so you can buy up to 500kWh per month.
- The Generation and Transmission (G&T) rate for solar energy is locked in for up to a year. The current SunHub G&T rate is $0.070 cents per kWh ($7 per 100kWh block). GVEC’s current standard G&T rate is $0.064 cents per kWh ($6.40 per 100 kWh block), so the cost for solar is less than a penny more per kWh. With the average usage for an all-electric home being around 1,500kWh per month, purchasing a 500 kilowatt-hour block results in only about a $3 increase on your monthly bill to utilize renewable solar energy. A one-time $50 signup fee will be assessed on your first bill.
- A Customer Service Representative will help you determine the best number of blocks to purchase based on your historical usage.
- The number of blocks purchased and associated cost will appear as a separate line item on your monthly bill for easy monitoring.
- Change the number of blocks or unsubscribe to the program at any time without a penalty fee.
SIGN UP IS CURRENTLY OPEN. To subscribe, fill out the Subscribe to SunHub form and we will contact you to confirm the details. SunHub is expected to begin producing energy in mid-November with program billing appearing on participating member bills generated after December 1, 2017.
For more information, see our FAQ’s below or call a Customer Service Representative at 800.223.4832.
SunHub Program FAQ’s:
What are the benefits of GVEC’s community solar program?
What does it cost to participate?
The current Generation &Transmission (G&T) solar rate is $0.070 per kWh ($7 for each 100kWh block). Members can purchase from one (100 kWh) to five blocks (500kWh) per month. This G&T rate is locked in through September 2018. Thereafter, the price of the solar blocks will be re-evaluated and locked in yearly every October. There is a one-time setup fee of $50 to cover administrative costs that will appear on your first bill.
It is important to understand what goes into your monthly electric bill. Your bill has two major components; a Distribution rate which covers the costs to get electricity to your home or business and a G&T rate which accounts for the cost of purchasing wholesale power. Only the G&T rate will be locked in annually under this program. Although it happens infrequently, the Distribution rate is subject to change at any time at the discretion of the GVEC Board of Directors.
How do I know how many blocks to purchase?
Once you contact us via the Subscribe to SunHub form or by phone—we’ll help you determine the right amount to purchase. We want to make sure you don’t purchase more than your lowest historical usage because there are no credits for unused energy.
How will billing work?
The number of solar blocks purchased along with the cost per block will appear as a separate line item on your monthly bill. Program billing will begin to appear on participating member bills generated after December 1, 2017.
Can I make changes or leave the program?
Is there a tax incentive if I purchase solar energy blocks?
What if I want my own solar panel system?
How do I sign up or get more information?
Sign up is currently open. SunHub is expected to begin producing energy in mid-November with program billing appearing on participating member bills generated after December 1, 2017.
Subscribe to SunHub
Take a look at the many ways we can help you live a more energy-efficient life…and save money on your energy bill, too.
CommunityLearn more about our programs and services for you and your community. We offer educational presentations, scholarships for graduating high school seniors, meeting facilities for nonprofit organizations and more.
Did you know GVEC offers more than electricity? Learn about our other services: AC/Heating sales and service, high-speed wireless and Fiber optic Internet service, solar technology and more.