ERCOT Issues Conservation Appeal
Around 2:40 p.m. this afternoon, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an appeal to the public to conserve energy. GVEC and other electric utility companies throughout the state ask their customers to conserve electricity as much as possible during these extremely high temperatures.
This effort should help prevent the need for ERCOT to require electric utilities to reduce load by creating momentary service interruptions in which circuits are taken out of power and brought back up on a rotating basis.
As a reminder, here are some immediate tips for conserving energy:
- Limit electricity usage to only that consumption that is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment.
- Do not use your dishwasher, laundry equipment, hair dryers, coffee makers, pool pump or other home appliances unless absolutely necessary, especially between the hours of 3 to 7 p.m.
- Close blinds and drapes on windows that get direct sun, set air conditioning thermostats to 80 degrees and use fans to circulate the air.
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Larger consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing nonessential production processes.
Consumers can keep updated on the situation by following GVEC on Facebook or GVEC_Tweets on Twitter.