Happy almost-spring Guadalupe Valley! Can you believe spring break is almost here? If you haven’t made plans to travel for the break, we suggest staying right here to enjoy a beautiful South Central Texas staycation! GVEC’s service area has plenty of vacation attractions the whole family can enjoy. Even if you’re looking for fun activities to do at home, GVEC has you covered!
Before we give you the scoop on potential spring break plans, we have some crucial rules to follow when taking a Texas staycation:
- Relax! Clear your mind; it’s vacation time!
- Staying local gives you the chance to enjoy a vacation without the stress of extra bills and long-distance traveling.
- Have fun! This is time to spend with your family and love ones. Take advantage!
South Central Texas Staycation Hotspots
Splashpads, splashpads, splashpads! Hanging out at your local splashpad for the day is the perfect way to cool off and let your kiddos play to their heart’s content! Seguin, Schertz, La Vernia, Gonzales and Cuero all have public splashpads.
For thrill seekers, an amusement or water park might be for you! Make a day trip to ZDT Amusement Park in Seguin. It has a little something for everyone: rollercoasters, water attractions, rock wall climbing, a playground and an arcade. You could also head over to New Braunfels for a splash of fun at Schlitterbahn.
Get your nature on and enjoy the fresh air at Palmetto State Park in Gonzales. With numerous activities such as hiking, fishing, canoeing, swimming, camping and more, it’s the perfect place for a Texas staycation with the whole family! Gonzales also has two paddling trails on the Guadalupe River—one for more experienced paddlers and the other for beginners. Another great place to enjoy the outdoors is the Seguin Outdoor Learning Center. Home of the Seguin Mountain Bike Park, funded by GVEC’s Power Up program, it’s the perfect way to spend an afternoon. Plus, they have many other fun activities: hiking, fishing, archery, nature studies and more!
If you’re seeking indoor activities the kiddos will love, head to your local public library! The Seguin Public Library has hands-on activities planned for the whole week of spring break. The Schertz Public Library also has fun activities planned. Contact your public library to see what events they have scheduled for the week of spring break!
Bring Out Your Inner Scientist
If you’re looking for at-home activities, we recommend trying some safe, exciting science experiments that are easy and can be done with regular household items. Below, we share two of our favorite science experiments we think you and your kids will enjoy.
Charge Up Your Cheerios
Get your kids excited about school and science with this simple experiment about static electricity.
- 2 cheerios
- Wire coat hanger
- Plastic comb
- Piece of wool
- Bend the coat hanger to make a stand. Bend the top part out flat.
- Tie a Cheerio to each end of the thread; wrap the thread around the flattened top of the coat hanger. Make sure Cheerios are even and not touching the table.
- Rub the comb over a piece of wool (we had a blanket as well as socks). Touch the comb to Cheerios and see what happens.
Create Your Own Lava Lamp
Get nostalgic with your kids with this simple spring break science experiment on liquid density.
- Empty water bottle
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring of your choice
- Alka-Seltzer® tablets
- Fill the empty water bottle about 2/3 full of vegetable oil.
- Fill the rest with water, leaving a little space at the top.
- Add food coloring. Make sure not to shake the bottle.
- Break an Alka-Seltzer tablet into four pieces, drop in one piece at a time and watch the magic!
Fun-fact: Your homemade lava lamp will work again and again! Make sure to screw the plastic lid on when you’re done using it. When you’re ready to use it again, add more Alka-Seltzer tablets.
Now that you have some ideas for a fun-filled staycation, we hope you enjoy your spring break. And remember, whether it’s spring break, a family vacation or any occasion where you’re tempted to take an out-of-town trip for fun and relaxation, South Central Texas has lots to offer to allow you to “get away from it all” without going far at all.
No matter where you go, no matter how you spend your downtime, remember to always make safety the first rule for you and your family. And of course, happy spring break!