Conserve Energy, Make Money with Rush Hour Rewards
Summer is on its way, which means higher bills are to be expected when temperatures start to soar. What if we told you GVEC is now offering a program that gives you access to tools that can help save 15%-20% on your electric costs, while helping GVEC keep rates down?
Introducing GVEC’s Rush Hour Rewards Program
This unique GVEC rewards program allows members to earn money for decreasing energy consumption during peak demand periods (or Rush Hours) between June–September, annually.
What’s the Hype Around Nest® Thermostats All About?
The Nest Learning Thermostat® is ENERGY STAR® certified and designed to “learn” from your temperature-setting habits. The Nest thermostat uses this data to build an automated temperature schedule. This can lead to up to 15%-20% in energy savings on your electric bill, according to Nest.
The Nest Learning Thermostat also gives you the power to adjust the temperature in your home from anywhere using your smartphone. You can set the temperature in your home to a cost-effective level when you’re out and view how frequently your AC system runs.
All Nest thermostat models can participate in this GVEC rewards program, but not all Nest thermostat models are compatible with every AC system.
To find out which Nest thermostat is compatible with your AC system, use Nest’s Compatibility Checker.
How Often Do Rush Hours Happen?
Rush Hours typically happen on very hot summer days when everybody’s AC systems are trying to keep their houses cool. You can expect to see less than 25 events per season, but this number will depend on overall weather patterns for the season. You shouldn’t expect more than one Rush Hour event per day, or a frequency of more than three consecutive days in a row.
How Do Rush Hour Rewards Events Work?
- GVEC will predict a large rise in demand for electricity caused by extreme weather, then schedule a Rush Hour event through Nest.
- Enrolled members will receive a message on the thermostat and from the Nest App detailing what time the upcoming event will start and end.
- Before the Rush Hour begins, a gold gear icon will appear on the participating Nest thermostat notifying that the system is precooling or preheating, depending on the season.
- The gold gear will remain present on the thermostat, but the words “Energy Rush Hour” will be displayed.
- The thermostat will not be adjusted more than two degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the Rush Hour Rewards event is over or if Nest senses more than a two degree difference from the original setting, the thermostat will return to its regular schedule.
Through this GVEC Rewards Program, Members Can:
- receive a one-time $85 bill credit for signing up and another $30 for each year they’re enrolled through September 30;
- be credited for Rush Hour Rewards through any qualifying Nest thermostat, including multiple enrolled thermostats at a single location;
- sign up and receive the $85 bill credit year-round. However, to receive the $30 annual credit, members must be signed up by May 31 and participate in the program through September 30 of the current year.
Purchase your Nest thermostat from any GVEC office! Ask us about installation from GVEC Home, too!