If you want to support clean solar energy generated locally in our own backyard—participate in GVEC’s SunHub™ Community Solar program! It’s a no-worries, no-strings-attached solution for those who are interested in renewable solar energy, but not in buying or installing a solar panel system on their home. With SunHub, there’s no large upfront investment, no long-term contracts and no cancellation penalty fees. You simply sign up to purchase blocks of solar energy each month!
This past July, GVEC broke ground on the SunHub Generation Station, the Co-op’s first ever generation asset and community solar project. The two-megawatt facility, located on Highway 90A between Seguin and Gonzales, is one of only seven distribution-scale solar projects underway right now in Texas. It will deliver more than 4 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of clean energy each year, thanks to its 6,500 solar panels powered by the South Texas sunshine. Members will have an opportunity to purchase this local energy by participating in the SunHub Community Solar program. SunHub is scheduled to go live mid-November, weather permitting.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
The program works like a yearly subscription. It’s completely optional and can be stopped or started at any time.
- Purchase from one to five blocks of solar energy per month. Each block equals 100kWh, so you can buy up to 500kWh per month.
- The Generation and Transmission (G&T) rate for solar energy is locked in for up to a year (see website for specific details). The current SunHub G&T rate is $0.070 cents per kWh ($7 per 100kWh block). GVEC’s current standard G&T rate is $0.064 cents per kWh ($6.40 per 100kWh block), so the cost for solar is less than half a penny more per kWh. With the average usage for an all-electric home being around 1500kWh per month, purchasing a 500 kilowatt-hour block results in only about a $3 increase on your monthly bill to utilize renewable solar energy. A one-time $50 signup fee will be assessed on your first bill.
- GVEC will help you determine the best number of blocks to purchase based on your historical usage.
- The number of blocks purchased and associated cost will appear as a separate line item on your monthly bill for easy monitoring.
- Change the number of blocks or unsubscribe to the program at any time without a penalty fee.
SIGN UP BEGINS SEPTEMBER 1, 2017. For more information, visit our SunHub page or call a Customer Service Representative at 800.223.4832.