If you’ve been wondering if a solar panel system would be the right choice for you, where would you begin? How about at GVEC Home where we’ll take care of you from start to finish.
Unbiased advice—it’s who we are
When GVEC began offering member rebates for renewable technologies nearly a decade ago, our Member Services Advisors were up to speed; they were already helping members evaluate the cost-benefit of investing in a solar panel system based on their individual energy needs. Although we weren’t selling systems at the time, we provided members with real answers based on our own research—we were testing the viability of renewable technologies in our area. One of our first recommendations back then, and still is: make sure your home is as energy efficient as possible to maximize your solar investment. Toward this end, GVEC has offered free in-home energy audits since 1979.
Quality equipment because we care
As more and more members expressed an interest in solar energy, we began offering systems through GVEC Home in 2012. We wanted members to have access to a quality product and ensure each system would be individually designed to maximize production. Today, our durable systems come with a 25-year power output warranty and 10-year workmanship warranty along with manufacturer-listed warranties on components. Our panels are from a local source and we make it easy for you to monitor production by logging into your computer.
Knowing the facts is important, too
We still provide unbiased advice because that’s what Co-ops do. We base our information on fact, not on what we think you want to hear. Who would better understand what you can expect than the people who have been providing you with energy for the past 80 years?
Top 5 Want-to-Knows
- The typical system isn’t large enough to power an entire home, but it can help reduce monthly bills. On average, GVEC members save $40 to $60 a month with a 4kW system, which can produce approximately 500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month. That’s about a third of the 1,500kWh consumed monthly by the typical home in the GVEC area.
- Solar energy must be used as it is produced, which means during daylight hours. Any excess energy that is produced and not used can be sold back to GVEC at the current wholesale price. Although battery storage technology has improved, it’s still too expensive for most homeowners to consider.
- During a power outage, solar systems are automatically shut down to prevent backfeeding into de-energized utility lines. It’s a safety precaution to keep linemen safe as they work to restore power.
- Installation practices, which can differ from one company to another, can make a big difference when it comes to durability and longevity. Make sure to compare apples with apples.
- Yes! GVEC Home really does sell solar panel systems and has been doing so since 2012. GVEC members are seeing payback periods between eight and 12 years. The timeline depends on the energy rate cost. Lower energy rates equate to a longer payoff term.
Even if you don’t start with GVEC Home, we’re here for you with a second opinion or estimate. In addition to any other promotions, when members buy a system from GVEC Home, they receive an instant energy efficiency rebate of 75 cents per watt, up to $3,000—while rebates last. A federal tax credit of 30 percent is also available (read more at www.energystar.gov). For more information, call 800.328.0630. TACLB18344E | TECL32802