Pay As You Go Prepaid Billing
Budget Friendly, PrePaid Billing
If it’s easier to make daily or weekly payments rather than one larger payment each month, our Pay As You Go prepaid service may be right for you. Plus, there are no late fees or deposit needed, just peace of mind that comes with being in control of your budget.
- You decide how much electricity to purchase—enough to last a day, a week, a month or more.
- Pay with cash, check, debit or credit card.
- Add money to your account as needed, 24 hours a day, by phone, online, at one of our office locations during business hours, or at any office with a kiosk.
- Track usage, check your account balance and set up account alerts via SmartHub®, GVEC’s customer portal and mobile app.
Statistics show that prepaid programs like this one can also help lower energy consumption as consumers become more aware of their home’s energy pattern.
How Pay As You Go Works
- When you sign up for this option, there is no credit check or deposit needed. An account can be opened with as little as $95 dollars. This includes GVEC’s $50 account setup fee, $25 membership fee and a $20 prepaid credit, which is approximately three to five days’ worth of electric usage. After this initial prepayment of at least $20 is made, you can prepay any amount toward your usage.
- When you sign up for this option, any existing deposit will go towards your account.
- If you have an account balance of not more than $300, we will work with you to set up a prepaid payment arrangement. When payments are made, half will automatically be applied to your outstanding balance and half to your prepaid account. Credits to your account will be viewable on SmartHub.
- When your balance goes below $15, you receive an account alert to add money to your account.
- If you decide this payment option isn’t for you, it’s easy to return to a traditional account. However, a deposit may be required based on a credit check.
Most residential accounts qualify for this service. However, accounts listed as medical necessity do not qualify.
To learn more about this prepaid service, call a Customer Service Representative at 800.223.4832 and see our FAQs:
What is the Pay As You Go PrePaid Service?
How much does the Pay As You Go Service cost?
Is a deposit required or are there any fees?
No deposit is required and there are no late fees. However, if service is disconnected due to a negative balance, you’ll be charged for reconnection. Reconnection requires you to pay: a minimum prepaid credit of $20, a $100 disconnect/reconnect fee, and any unpaid usage from the time the balance was depleted to the time of disconnect.
To help you avoid disconnection, we’ll send low balance alerts when your balance reaches $15, giving you time to purchase more electricity.