Pay As You Go Prepaid Billing
Here’s another option for paying your electric bill that makes managing your money and your electric usage a little bit easier.
Budget Friendly, PrePaid Billing
If it’s easier to make daily or weekly payments rather than one larger payment each month, our Pay As You Go prepaid service may be right for you. Plus, there are no late fees or deposit needed, just peace of mind that comes with being in control of your budget.
- You decide how much electricity to purchase—enough to last a day, a week, a month or more.
- Pay with cash, check, debit or credit card.
- Add money to your account as needed, 24 hours a day, by phone, online, at one of our office locations during business hours, or at any office with a kiosk.
- Track usage, check your account balance and set up account alerts via SmartHub®, GVEC’s customer portal and mobile app.
Statistics show that prepaid programs like this one can also help lower energy consumption as consumers become more aware of their home’s energy pattern.
How Pay As You Go Works
- When you sign up for this option, there is no credit check or deposit needed. An account can be opened with as little as $95 dollars. This includes GVEC’s $50 account setup fee, $25 membership fee and a $25 prepaid credit, which is approximately three to five days’ worth of electric usage. After this initial prepayment of at least $25 is made, you can prepay any amount toward your usage.
- When you sign up for this option, any existing deposit will go towards your account.
- If you have an account balance of not more than $300, we will work with you to set up a prepaid payment arrangement. When payments are made, half will automatically be applied to your outstanding balance and half to your prepaid account. Credits to your account will be viewable on SmartHub.
- When your balance goes below $15, you receive an account alert to add money to your account.
- If you decide this payment option isn’t for you, it’s easy to return to a traditional account. However, a deposit may be required based on a credit check.
Most residential accounts qualify for this service. However, accounts listed as medical necessity do not qualify.
To learn more about this prepaid service, call a Customer Service Representative at 800.223.4832 and see our FAQs:
What is the Pay As You Go PrePaid Service?
How much does the Pay As You Go Service cost?
It’s free. However, the standard monthly service availability fee of $25 still applies. This is a prorated amount based on the monthly service availability fee charged on traditional monthly bills.
Is a deposit required or are there any fees?
No deposit is required and there are no late fees. However, if service is disconnected due to a negative balance, you’ll be charged for reconnection. Reconnection requires you to pay: a minimum prepaid credit of $25, a $100 disconnect/reconnect fee, and any unpaid usage from the time the balance was depleted to the time of disconnect.
To help you avoid disconnection, we’ll send low balance alerts when your balance reaches $15, giving you time to purchase more electricity.
Who can sign up for this payment option?
All single-phase, non-demand, remote access metered residential accounts qualify. However, any accounts listed as medical necessity do not qualify.
What if I have an existing account balance?
If your account balance is $300 or less, Pay as You go can help you pay it down while keeping your electricity on. Each time you make a payment, half will be applied to your outstanding balance and half will go toward your electric usage.
Do I get a monthly bill?
No. Instead of receiving a traditional bill once a month, usage is calculated on a daily basis, allowing members to purchase electricity as needed. Usage and current credit balances can be tracked in SmartHub, GVEC’s customer portal and mobile app.
How do I stay informed about my account or balance?
How much money should I keep on my Pay As You Go account?
You can pay any amount after meeting the minimum of $25. That’s one of the benefits: you decide how much electricity to purchase at a time—enough to last a day, week, month or more.
What happens if my account runs low?
You’ll receive a low balance alert when the balance reaches $15, giving you time to purchase more electricity. If the account falls below zero, your electric service will be subject to disconnection. Reconnection requires you to pay: a minimum prepaid credit of $25, a $100 disconnect/reconnect fee, and any unpaid usage from the time the balance was depleted to the time of disconnect.
Can I return to traditional billing?
Yes. You only need to pay any required deposits utilizing a credit check.
Will I still receive Capital Credits?
Yes. You are still a GVEC member and your usage counts toward your Capital Credits account.