Peak-Time Payback Program
Once enrolled, your thermostat will notify you of any upcoming Peak-Time events and then automatically adjust the temperature to reduce the overall demand on the electric grid when it’s expected to be at its highest.
Peak-Time Payback Program FAQ’s
The more GVEC can lower its demand during seasonal peaks, the more GVEC will save on transmission costs—plus reduce strain on the power grid. This translates to more stable Generation & Transmission rates for our members, which are the wholesale power costs passed through with no markup on their monthly bill.
The following thermostat models are eligible:
- ecobee3 lite
- ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control
- Nest Thermostat E®
- Nest Learning Thermostat® (generations 1, 2, 3)
*The models listed are compatible with GVEC’s Peak-Time Payback program, however not all thermostats may be compatible with every HVAC system. Be sure to check the manufacturer’s website or instructions for compatibility before purchasing a new thermostat, or ask our service experts. GVEC sells and installs Nest and ecobee thermostats!
Members can receive Peak-Time Payback credits for all qualifying thermostats, including multiple enrolled thermostats at a single location.
- GVEC will predict a large rise in demand for electricity caused by extreme weather, then schedule a Peak-Time event.
- Enrolled members will receive a message on the thermostat and from their thermostat app detailing what time the upcoming event will start and end.
- GVEC will issue instructions to your thermostat, lowering the temperature to precool your home in the hours leading up to the event.
- The temperature will be raised during the peak demand period, helping to lessen the amount of strain on the statewide electricity grid.
- The thermostat will not be adjusted more than two degrees Fahrenheit.
Note: The member maintains the ability to manually adjust their thermostat at any time during the event.
- When the Peak-Time event is over, the thermostat will return to its regular schedule.
To enroll in the Peak-Time Payback program you must:
- Have central air conditioning that is controlled by an eligible programmable thermostat
- Have Wi-Fi
- Register your device for the program
- Be a GVEC member
- Have a valid GVEC account that’s in good standing
To enroll a Nest Thermostat:
Visit — nest.com/gvec OR Go to Settings > Rebates and Rewards in your Nest App and follow the steps to enroll
To enroll an ecobee Thermostat:
Activate eco+ inside your ecobee app and follow the steps to enroll. Select the GVEC Peak-Time Payback program in the app.
For more information visit:
ecobee – Click Here
To enroll a Honeywell Thermostat:
Honeywell Home – Click Here
To enroll an Amazon Thermostat:
Amazon – Click Here