GVEC’s Control Center is staffed by seven men of varied backgrounds who share a passion for keeping the lights on across our service territory. As GVEC celebrates Thanksgiving this month, we give thanks for their dedication not only to members, but also to Cooperative line crews.
These men make sure someone’s monitoring GVEC’s grid 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Through every thunderstorm, cold snap, hurricane and heatwave, they help keep power flowing and do everything possible to assure linemen go safely home to their families after every shift. For that, we say thank you, Luis; thank you, Trey, Jacob and Abraham; thank you, Albert, Tyler and Ben. We appreciate you.
We wondered, though, what our Cooperative Control Center (CCC) staff is thankful for, so we asked each member of the seven-member team the following two questions:
- What are you most thankful for as a GVEC employee?
- How will you be spending Thanksgiving?
Here are their answers.
Luis Cortez – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Supervisor
1) I’m thankful to GVEC for allowing me to be a part of a great organization for the past 21 years. I’m also thankful for GVEC allowing me to be able to work alongside a great group of operators whom I am truly grateful for. I am overall thankful for all the opportunities GVEC has provided me with and continues to allow us all to take advantage of.
2) The way we would spend Thanksgiving would be the day before Thanksgiving with my Family and on Thanksgiving would be with my wife’s family; but this year will be very different due to my [recent] back surgery travel restrictions. We will be spending Thanksgiving at home.
Ben Lapp – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (III)
1) In a time when we can’t predict tomorrow, I am grateful to be part of a company that cares about its employees and the work we do.
2) On Thanksgiving, I will be working in the Control Center—making sure, even during the holidays, that our members are being taken care of.
Trey Presley III – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (II)
1) As a GVEC employee, I am most thankful for our strong leadership, great benefits and opportunities to grow within the company.
2) We normally alternate who’s working the holidays each year. This year, I was fortunate enough to be scheduled off for Thanksgiving, so I plan to be spending the day with family.
Jacob Bird – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (II)
1) I am thankful for having a job.
2) I am spending Thanksgiving with family.
Abraham Rendon – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (II)
1) Something that I’m most thankful for as a GVEC employee is the privilege to help members keep their power on—whether it be during storms or just daily—and assisting them with any concerns might have. Being able to dispatch linemen on a day-to-day basis for various projects big or small, our members come first.
2) This year for Thanksgiving, I will be at work being able to practice what I’m thankful for.
Albert Ibarra – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (II)
1) As a GVEC employee, I am most thankful to work for a company that values all of their employees. Since the first day I started, even up to this day (5 years), I’ve been blessed to be able to come to work and enjoy what I do day in and day out. The family-like atmosphere is definitely strong here.
2) This year, I will be spending my time creating long lasting memories with those I love. Great food and even greater fellowship is what’s on the agenda!
Tyler Filla – GVEC Cooperative Control Center Operator (II)
1) I am grateful for working with others as a team here at GVEC.
2) I will be spending Thanksgiving with family.